Carbon monoxide is a deadly danger to homeowners. This gas is both invisible and odorless, making it difficult to detect without a carbon monoxide alarm. It is very important to avoid the gas since just a few minutes of exposure could lead to death.

Usually, appliances that generate this gas will be vented outdoors, but sometimes a problem develops called backdraft that could have disastrous consequences. Backdraft happens when the pressure inside your home is lower than the pressure outside your home. This could lead to exhaust fumes being pushed into your home instead of out through the chimney. Sometimes you will be able to spot soot deposited around your appliance if it is suffering from a problem with backdraft. A smoke pencil or a puffer will also let you see which way the air is moving in your chimney. If you have this problem, you need to have it taken care of immediately, and you should avoid using any appliances that aren’t venting correctly until it is working right again.

error: Content is protected !!